Ask Athalie Banner

Answers to your questions

Have a question you would like answered? Email us and we may answer it. The questions here are based on ones from our readers, with identifying information removed.

Topic: Women's legal centre  |  Show questions and answers for all topics

Can my wife register our child in my absence if we are married under religious law?

A mother can register the child in the father's name if she has proof of marriage

Read more

Why can't spouses married under Muslim rites claim deceased funds?

Marriages under Muslim rites are not yet legally recognised in South Africa.

Read more

Can you marry someone under customary law if you are already married under civil law to someone else?

No, the law is very clear on this.

Read more

My husband kicked me and our children out of his mother's house that she gave to us. Can we fight it?

You will need help from your mother-in-law if the title deed is still in her name

Read more

How can I kick my abusive ex out of our house?

Because the house is in both your names, one of you can buy the other's share or you can appoint a liquidator to split the house

Read more

My late father's first wife wants to claim his estate. His second wife and I need help.

If he died without a will, the Intestate Succession Act applies. You may need legal help.

Read more