Ask Athalie Banner

Answers to your questions

Have a question you would like answered? Email us and we may answer it. The questions here are based on ones from our readers, with identifying information removed.

Topic: Education  |  Show questions and answers for all topics

Can a school hand over my unpaid fees account to debt collectors without warning me?

The school should contact you and give you three months to settle the account. But they do not need to tell you if they intend to hand over the account to debt collectors.

Read more

I don't know my birth parents and Home Affairs keeps refusing me an ID. What can I do?

Home Affairs is supposed to let your adoptive parents help you apply. They should also tell you why your applications have been denied.

Read more

Can I be kicked out of school for being 19 in Grade 11?

Being two years older than the average age of your grade isn't unusual. You can plead your case with the school or you can continue your education through ABET.

Read more

Can a child be denied attending their matric dance due to non-payment of school fees?

No. Legally, the principal does not have the power to block access to the matric farewell because of outstanding school fees.

Read more

What can I do if I was exempted from paying full school fees but don't have enough money to pay the outstanding amount?

You can approach the School Governing Body and negotiate a revised repayment plan.

Read more

Can my South African-born child register for matric with her passport if I am a ZEP holder?

Yes, her passport will be sufficient to register for matric.

Read more

How can I get free scholar transport for my children?

The school needs to submit the children's names to the Department of Transport.

Read more

Is there a way I can change my personal information on my matric certificate?

It should not be necessary to change the personal information on your matric certificate, but you can apply for the certificate to be verified through Umalusi.

Read more

How can I replace my matric certificate if it has been lost?

You can apply online to replace your lost or damaged certificate issued by Umalusi.

Read more

Can I use my late fatherโ€™s documents to apply for a study permit in South Africa? He was Zimbabwean but had a non-citizen SA ID.

Your father's permanent residence in South Africa does not give you access to study in South Africa.

Read more