Shack fire in Zola Square

| Photos by Masixole Feni. Text by Kevin Elliott.
A women helps put out the fire using a bucket of water.

Zola Square in Site C, Khayelitsha, was the site of yet another shack fire yesterday.

According to community leader Ezri Kanaya, twelve shacks burnt down.

Kanaya says he rushed over to the fire after he heard people shouting “it’s burning, it’s burning”. Kanaya suspects the fire started due to faulty electrical connections as no one was in the shack at the time the fire started.

Community leader Ezri Kanaya described the incident to the police at the scene.

Although unconfirmed at the time of publication, it appears that no one was injured in the fire. Eighteen people have been displaced by the fire.

Two women help put out the fire using buckets of water.

Dodgy people are suing us. Please support us by contributing to our legal costs and helping us to publish news that matters.

Donate using SnapScan.
Snapscan QR code

TOPICS:  Housing

Next:  Hope of peace for Manenberg residents

Previous:  City’s young soccer stars compete in Rocklands

© 2016 GroundUp. Creative Commons License
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.