Answer to a question from a reader

How do I report a person who illegally used my daughter's ID to register for the SRD R350 grant?

The short answer

Your daughter should immediately report it to SASSA, PostBank or theSouth African Fraud Prevention Service

The whole question

Dear Athalie

What I can do to stop my daughter’s ID number from being used by someone else who has applied for the Social Relief of Distress (SRD) R350 grant?

The long answer

#SASSACARES also says:

Beneficiaries reporting fraud on their SASSA cards should submit the following to the Post Office either in person or via email to 

  1. A completed SASSA fraud affidavit form;

  2. Certified copy of the ID (if it is the smart card ID then both sides should be copied);

  3. Certified copy of their SASSA cards (both sides should be copied);

  4. The SASSA fraud affidavit forms, which may be obtained from any SASSA or Post Office. reported that the Office of the Auditor-General identified that at least 5,812 public servants fraudulently applied for and received the R350 SRD grant, at a cost of R5.8-million in 2021. The Minister of Social Development Lindiwe Zulu revealed in answer to a parliamentary question that R23.1 million was potentially stolen by people who unduly benefited from receiving social grant payments during the 2021/2022 financial year. So, sadly, this is something that is happening very widely.

UPDATE (06/06/2023): You can also contact The South African Fraud Prevention Service (SAFPS) via their hotline (011 867 2234) or their website (

Wishing you the best,

Answered on Feb. 9, 2023, 9:21 a.m.

See more questions and answers

Please note. We are not lawyers or financial advisors. We do our best to make the answers accurate, but we cannot accept any legal liability if there are errors.