Answer to a question from a reader

How do I apply for Adult Basic Education Training (ABET) if I don't have my report?

The short answer

You can make an affidavit explaining your circumstances and ask your old school for a copy.

The whole question

Dear Athalie and Grethen

I dropped out of school in Grade 11. Now, as an adult, I want to further my education but my last report was lost in a fire at home. How can I apply for ABET? 

The long answer

ABET (Adult Basic Education Training) caters for school grades up to Grade 9. After that, the National Qualifications Framework (NQF) applies as follows:

  • NQF Level 1: Grade 9 certificate or equivalent (also equates with ABET Level 4);

  • NQF Level 2: Grade 10 certificate or equivalent;

  • NQF Level 3: Grade 11 certificate or equivalent;

  • NQF Level 4: Grade 12 certificate or equivalent;

You can register at your nearest ABET/AET centre. You will need to take your ID or birth certificate and your Grade 9 school report stating that you have passed Grade 9.

If you have no Grade 9 report because of the fire, you could make an affidavit at the police station saying that you have passed Grade 9 and how you lost your report through your house burning down. You could take a certified copy of this affidavit to the school where you were studying and ask them to give you a copy of your Grade 9 (or 10) report so that you can register for ABET.

If you are unable to get your school reports from the school, ask them to give you the name and contact details of the person in the Education Department who can assist you. If that doesn’t work, you should take your affidavit to the nearest ABET office, together with your birth certificate or ID and ask them to register you on the basis of the affidavit. They may want to test you to see if you could have passed Grade 9. 

To write matric through ABET, you need to be over 21, and you need to have passed Grade 9.

You can call 013 708 5027 or 013 766 0734 or 013 801 5173 for more information.

For individuals wanting to apply for lower grades:

If you have not passed Grade 9, you can register for ABET Levels 1 to 4 using your ID or birth certificate and whatever school records you may have. If you never attended school, we recommend phoning one of the numbers above for more detailed advice.

ABET levels and their school equivalents are as follows

  • ABET Level 1: Grade 3;

  • ABET Level 2: Grade 5;

  • ABET Level 3: Grade 7;

  • ABET Level 4: Grade 9 (or NQF level 1).

Wishing you the best,
Athalie and Grethen

Answered on April 12, 2022, 12:59 p.m.

See more questions and answers

Please note. We are not lawyers or financial advisors. We do our best to make the answers accurate, but we cannot accept any legal liability if there are errors.