Answers to your questions

Have a question you would like answered? Email us and we may answer it. The questions here are based on ones from our readers, with identifying information removed.

Topic: Home Affairs  |  Show questions and answers for all topics

What can I do to get Home Affairs to process a letter of non-impediment for me?

You can either brief lawyers or obtain the letter through one of the law firms that advertise this service. That would take 4 to 6 weeks and is quite expensive.

Read more

Can I apply for a relative visa for my life partner of 15 years?

You can apply for a Section 26 (B) Life Partner Permit, which is a permanent resident permit that caters for people who are in a long term relationship, but who have not married, as in your case.

Read more

How do I get a critical skills visa?

You need to apply online for a critical skills visa through VFS Global, the company that handles all Home Affairs applications.

Read more

How can I can assist my partner change his status from asylum seeker to temporary or permanent resident? Home Affairs ignores us.

Your frustration with Home Affairs is understandable. You may want to get legal assistance.

Read more

How do I change my status from asylum seeker to resident?

A person applying for temporary residence has to apply from outside of the country, but you can get an exemption from this by applying to Home Affairs through VFS Global..

Read more

Home Affairs told me that asylum seekers cannot apply for permanent residence. Doesn't this contradict a Constitutional Court ruling?

Asylum seekers (i.e. people who do not hold refugee status) may apply for a residence permit.

Read more

Home Affairs declared my husband an undesirable person for five years because he overstayed his visit. Can this be overturned?

Your husband can appeal to the Minister of Home Affairs.

Read more

How do I get Home Affairs to give me my birth certificate?

Home Affairs says that the waiting period for an unabridged birth certificate is three to eight weeks, but many people have complained of delays of many months.

Read more