Answer to a question from a reader

How can I access my late husband's pension and provident fund payments?

The short answer

You could contact the Financial Sector Conduct Authority.

The whole question

How can I access my late husband's pension and provident fund payments if I am not sure which institution the funds were invested in?

The long answer

The Register of Pension Funds provides a central database on the Financial Sector Conduct Authority (FSCA) website ( to help members of the public find out through the online search engine if there are unclaimed benefits due to them.

You would need to input basic information into the Unclaimed Benefits Search Engine such as name, surname, ID number, name of the employer, name of the fund etc., so that the search engine can check for a possible match. If the search engine comes up with a match, you will be given the contact details of the fund and/or the fund administrator.

After that, you would have to contact the fund yourself and follow the fund’s normal process to prove a valid claim.

You could also email the FSCA about unclaimed benefits at this address:

[email protected].

Answered on Nov. 3, 2020, 12:30 p.m.

See more questions and answers

Please note. We are not lawyers or financial advisors. We do our best to make the answers accurate, but we cannot accept any legal liability if there are errors.