Ask Athalie Banner

Answers to your questions

Have a question you would like answered? Email us and we may answer it. The questions here are based on ones from our readers, with identifying information removed.

Topic: Immigration  |  Show questions and answers for all topics

Home Affairs told me that asylum seekers cannot apply for permanent residence. Doesn't this contradict a Constitutional Court ruling?

Asylum seekers (i.e. people who do not hold refugee status) may apply for a residence permit.

Read more

Home Affairs declared my husband an undesirable person for five years because he overstayed his visit. Can this be overturned?

Your husband can appeal to the Minister of Home Affairs.

Read more

My Zimbabwean special permit was rejected on a technicality. I have appealed but it is taking a very long time. How can I speed up the process?

Unfortunately the short answer is that there does not seem to be a way to compel Home Affairs to resolve matters urgently.

Read more

I am an asylum seeker. Can I apply for permanent residence?

The Constitutional Court ruled in October 2018 that a blanket ban on asylum seekers applying for temporary or permanent residence visas was not justified.

Read more

How do I renew my asylum papers?

There is no short answer to this question

Read more